Winnipeg VR – an immersive experience
** This application requires a VR headset like Google Cardboard to operate **
In partnership with The Winnipeg Chamber of commerce we bring you Winnipeg VR. This is an immersive tour of Virtual Winnipeg. Through this application you are taken to locations around Winnipeg to meet businesses like Across the board Cafe, CN Rail, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and so on.
While exploring these locations you are given information about the business, their impact on our community, and some fun facts that you might not know before visiting their stores. This application we hope will shine a light on Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Canada while we bring people from around the world to Winnipeg virtually, and hopefully in person.
Some of the businesses included in this app are:
- CN Rail
- The City of Winnipeg
- Mere Hotel
- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Save on Foods
- Across The Board Cafe
- Vera Chiropractic
- The Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada
- North End Family Centre
- Lennard Taylor Design Studio
We shot the content using a couple different cameras. All of the content is in 360-degree photos and video. The cameras we used were:
- Ricoh Theta S – Great for shooting large areas quickly, like the CN Rail Training Facility
- Samsung Gear 360 (2017) – This camera we actually got later on, it shoots great photos and uses HDR. We used this for our outside locations like with the Blue Bombers.
The application was developed for Google Cardboard and is released on the iTunes store and the Google Play Store. We also built an Oculus Rift version to showcase at events with the chamber. This early demo video shows the application running within Unity3D.
You can download the app on Apple’s iOS and Android here: