What is Fall Protection App?
Fall Protection focuses on the daily needs of the employee including information about the different types of fall protection, what personal protective equipment to use, emergency procedures and how to calculate fall clearances. In Manitoba, the workplace safety requirements for fall protection are very strict. Often forgotten is the legal requirement to also ensure an employer includes an Emergency Rescue Plan in the event of a fall.
Training will include 10 virtual reality (VR) case studies as a pre-activity/assessment to the in-class discussion/ practical application component. In class, students will be required to review the VR case studies and determine the best assessment for each situation. This in class training will reinforce learning on the Manitoba fall protection requirements and the steps to take in the event of a fall. Participants will receive practical application through knowledge transfer of new skills.
Sharing the VR experiences will reinforce new learning. They will come to class familiar with learning expectations of the fall protection training and will be prepared to share and ask questions. VR involves critical thinking while the classroom experience reinforces new learning as students learn from one another.
Why Fall Protection App?
According to Manitoba’s 5 year plan for Workplace Illness and Injury Prevention https://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/safety/pdf/workplace_injury_illness_prevention_web.pdf Government is committed “to ensuring that safety and health programs reflect workplace realities and meet the evolving needs of both workers and employers. Creating a culture of prevention means further strengthening opportunities for accessible, flexible training; focusing efforts where they’re needed most such as high-hazard industries and workplaces that employ most-at-risk workers; and improving system-wide responsiveness for all stakeholders via distinct, dedicated resources both for enforcement and prevention.”(p.5) Development of these virtual reality safety courses will address the Workplace Illness and Injury Prevention guidelines by giving youth simulated experiences of hazardous situations. When they spot the hazard in real life they will recognize and be more capable of avoiding injury.
Upon completion of this awareness course, students will be able to:
- Explain why fall protection is important on the construction site.
- Explain the use of the harness and the importance of wearing the harness properly
- Differentiate between awareness and a recognized safety course for fall protection
- Identify where to take fall protection training
- Know what type of fall protection equipment works in different situations
- Demonstrate the proper fitting or explain how to fit fall protection equipment properly
- Inspect fall protection equipment
- Identify and report defective fall protection equipment
- Explain how to store and maintain fall protection equipment properly
- Explain the procedures to follow when an incident occurs, and a person falls
Workplace Safety and Health Issue to be addressed in Fall Protection
Falls are among the most common causes of serious work-related injuries and deaths.
Who Needs Fall Protection Training?
Any individual who is required to work at a height of more than 3-metres, including but not limited to the following industries:
- Oil and Gas
- Commercial Window Washers
- Electrical Workers
- Cities and Townships
The Fall Protection App has 7 modules:
- Module 1: Use of the Harness
- Module 2: Proper Training on Fall Protection
- Module 3: Choose the Right Equipment
- Module 4: Proper Fitting of Fall Protection Equipment
- Module 5: Equipment Inspection Before Use
- Module 6: Proper Storage and Maintenance of Fall Protection Equipment
- Module 7: Rescue Plans in Accordance with Legislation
Screenshots from the app: