Trying on The Trades
Immersive Trades Education
Taking the Trades to the North
The Try The Trades project are 360 videos shot with the Manitoba Construction Sector Council for skill trades awareness. These 360 videos bring awareness to the different careers in way that allows for viewers to be immersed in the environment without actually being there.
TOTT has been developed by a collection of individuals and organizations based out of Winnipeg Manitoba. The project was originally developed by Red River College and Daniel Blair. The project was then picked up by Bold Commerce, and eventually transferred over to Bit Space Development Ltd.
We interviewed 15 different people on their job site. Viewers got to see what their workplace looks like and what tasks were taking place. The workplaces ranged from roads to the inside of workshops.
The videos looked into the different aspects of each career, like what kind of skills are needed and why people should consider such a profession. Each of these skilled trades people were asked 7 questions:
- What kind of materials do you work with?
- What is the main aspect of your job?
- What is the most exciting part of your job?
- How did you get to where you are with your career today?
- What is something somebody should know when considering a career in your industry?
- What are the skills you need to do your job?
- Can you show us one of the tools you use in your job?