Winnipeg VR – Explore The City
Over the past several months we have been working on a 360-degree video experience with the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce called Winnipeg VR. This experience takes you to multiple different businesses including some well know, and some new businesses that show our diverse business ecosystem here in the prairies.
Some of the businesses included in this app are:
- CN Rail
- The City of Winnipeg
- Mere Hotel
- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Save on Foods
- Across The Board Cafe
- Vera Chiropractic
- The Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada
- North End Family Centre
- Lennard Taylor Design Studio
When we initially approached the chamber to talk about the potential technology we had very loose guidelines on how we needed to produce this application. We wanted to give them creative freedom over whom to include, as long as they had a good role to play in the application.
We shot the content using a couple different cameras. All of the content is in 360-degree photos and video. The cameras we used were:
- Ricoh Theta S – Great for shooting large areas quickly, like the CN Rail Training Facility
- Samsung Gear 360 (2017) – This camera we actually got later on, it shoots great photos and uses HDR. We used this for our outside locations like with the Blue Bombers.
– Android phones
– iOS devices
– Android phones (must have accelerometer and gyroscope)
– iPhone 5 and up
– VR viewer
Plastic GVR compatible devices
We are currently working on future plans for the technology. For now, this application is a good example of businesses coming together and utilizing technology to build something of cultural significance.
Eventually, we would like to turn this into a framework for creating tourism focused VR applications. There are limitations to 360 videos and photos, but until better technology like photogrammetry becomes more accessible. We don’t want to create something the average user can not handle.
You can download the app onto your smartphone, you do require a Google Cardboard enabled VR HMD to operate.
- Registration with Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce
- BSD will set up an appointment with you for a shoot day
- Upon scheduled day, BSD will come to your place and shoot for content.
- BSD will finalize the shots and publish on app.
What to expect?
Team will arrive with 360 cameras on location
– We will shoot your space in high resolution 360 images
– Images will be embedded in the application.
You will provide a high resolution logo
You will provide a paragraph of info about your organization and some interesting facts
How long does this take?
– Roughly 30 – 45 minutes depending on your location and how prepared you are
Who owns the images?
– The content generated for the app currently is owned by you, this may change in the future as the app evolves but current content will not be repurposed for future applications.
Can I have the content?
– Unfortunately no, if you want to schedule a 360 content shoot for other purposes you can contact us at [email protected]
Do I need a VR headset to play?
Who can download this app?
– Anybody with a smartphone
What is the cost?
– Currently the application is $20 / month paid yearly at $240 which is handled by the chamber of commerce.
– The cost of the shoot is included for the first year of the application, at which point it will go up to a 1 time $100 fee.
Who has my data?
– Your billing information is safe with the chamber, BSD does not store this or use it at all
– Your personal information is not stored in the application, BSD does store client information in our CRM.
– You will not be signed up for any newsletters.
BSD’s official website: https://bitspacedevelopment.com
Winnipeg VR App official website: https://winnipegvr.ca